Thursday, June 27, 2013

Crowd Funding Is Awesome for Filmmakers!!!

Crowd funding is awesome for creative professionals that need help being funded for their projects. It's a revolutionary idea that has exploded among creative circles. Some crowd funding websites are Indiegogo.com, kickstarter.com, seedandspark.com, and even more are beginning to pop up.

Let me explain a little about what these websites do. They allow creative professionals like myself to start a funding campaign to raise funds for a project we want to start. Since I'm a film professional and making a movie is ridiculously expensive to achieve, websites like these are like music to my ears. Beautiful beautiful music that I want to sing from the mountain tops. Too bad I can't sing... I guess that's why I'm writing about it.

I just finished production on a short film where I did practically everything myself, didn't pay actors, didn't have to pay for crew members, and didn't need to rent any equipment since I have a lot of my own equipment. I didn't keep track of all of the little expenses that added up but after it was all said and done I probably spent anywhere between $1000-$1600 total. The short film is around 10 minutes long, so its not going to make any money for me other than show my skills and get me hired to be a Director of Photography, Gaffer, and or Editor for other projects. Before that short film my last short film I made was a little over a year ago and that one was for school with the help of my fellow classmates. Before I make my first feature film I need to hone my skills and work on a few more short films back to back. That's why I just started a crowd funding campaign with Indiegogo.com to fund my next short film. If enough people tell people about this project and people help fund, then I can make this short film happen right after I finished my last short film. No longer waiting a year to make progress in my career. Gotta love that!

Now why would people fund someone's project? Well for lots of reasons. You want to see the movie made, you want to help support the artist, and you want the perks of helping funding. With Indiegogo you define your perks based on the contribution made. With my movie you can give $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, and $200 donations with different perks assigned to those amounts. I just checked my campaign to know my amounts and THANK YOU whoever the $10 donation is from.

 Click Here to See My Crowd Funding Campaign For My Short Film 

This new internet phenomenon isn't just for individuals like myself that are trying to make a name for themselves. This is also the future of a lot of big shots in film and television. There's only so many big Hollywood production companies and they're only willing to spend so much money and make so many films a year. With Netflix and Amazon Video you don't need to make a good movie that has to go in theatre to make money anymore. You don't even need a Hollywood production company to have the quality of equipment to make a good movie anymore. The game is changing and crowd funding sites are paving the way for the filmmakers of tomorrow like myself.

Thanks for reading and be sure to checkout my campaign and tell others about it. Thanks so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment