Tuesday, June 18, 2013

DSLR Filmmaking is Underrated

Now a days everyone wants to know if you have a RED camera. Really!? You want to know if I have a 20k camera for your 20 second web video? Oh and that 20k camera doesn't include lenses and accessories to shoot properly with the RED camera.
As a professional I hear this question so often and it is truly frustrating. A RED camera doesn't guarantee the quality of ones work either. Can RED cameras produce stellar images? Yes! And no. I have seen shots from a RED camera that have made me question the lenses being used, lighting, and other decisions made by the Director of Photography because the shots looked less than acceptable.
On the other hand I have seen some stellar shots from DSLRs. I have a DSLR and when I tell some potential customers I'm a DSLR filmmaker they are no longer interested. As if DSLRs are not professional. Where has this thought process come from? I believe people are seriously misinformed about DSLR filmmaking. Just like with the RED camera if your shooter knows what he or she is doing the quality of your work will show.
For example here is one of the very first DSLR short films made.
http://vimeo.com/7151244
Now tell me was the quality less than RED?
Exactly, the hands and eye behind the camera makes the shot.
Now you might know some technical terms and be thinking that RED cameras shoot in 4k and full frame DSLR sensors shoot in 2k and crop sensor DSLR are slightly less and blah, blah, blah.
I'm hear to tell you it doesn't matter. That's right. Deal with it.
1080p quality found on cropped sensor DSLRs is enough.
Don't believe me? Are you thinking well, What if you used a full frame DSLR or God forbid a cropped sensor DSLR for an independent film? Well then it would have to go straight to DVD because it couldn't possibly be shown on the big screen, right? Wrong! Oh still don't believe me. Let me name some movies that have been shown on the big screen and used DSLRs and some are a little bigger budget than independent films too.
Here's the list.
Captain of America
Iron Man 2
Avengers
Black Swan
Like Crazy
Red Tails
Red State
Secretariat
127 Hours
Act of Valor
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
and the list keeps on growing. Oh and did I mention that most of these even used a cropped sensor DSLR for some shots as well. I received this list from here.
Now past this along. I need people to stop asking me if I have a RED camera and start hiring me to use the same quality camera used in the movies listed above. That's right I'm a DSLR filmmaker and I'm damn proud of the shots I can produce for a fraction of the cost of a RED shooter.



No comments:

Post a Comment